Manages and oversees the daily operations. Monitors operations for efficiency and safety ensuring that all applicable regulatory requirements are followed. Oversees staff. The Superintendent position plans, organizes and controls company resources and provides leadership, clear direction, and good example to assigned company personnel and craft personnel to achieve customer satisfaction and attainment of schedule, cost, and profit objectives while adhering to safety and quality requirements and company policies. Responsible for planning, coordinating and controlling the day-to-day field operations to achieve the scheduled progress of the work in the assigned areas and for the assigned crafts and subcontractors.
- Interprets client plans and specifications; becomes familiar with project and local labor agreements.
Reviews and becomes familiar with the schedule of the work.
- Plans and tracks work to ensure efficient use of resources. Communicates any deviations and accounts for them properly. Becomes familiar with the site safety plan and project safety requirements.
- Ensures all activities are done safely.
- Reviews and becomes familiar with the site quality plan and project quality requirements.
- Ensures that assigned personnel do not make changes or alterations to the work without proper written instruction.
- Manages and controls equipment use, and ensures proper care of the company tools and equipment.
- Ensures through field presence and observation that the work is being completed in accord with plans and specifications; documents all daily activity. May lead a group of subordinate superintendents.
- Advises management of any issues that arise (regarding employee relations, safety and quality).
- Delegates work assignments by matching the responsibilities and capabilities to the personnel; effectively follows-up and provides support.
- Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner.
- Performs the duties and responsibilities of Construction Manager when requested. Performs other duties as assigned by management.
- Significant experience (10-15 years) in technical supervision can substitute for the educational requirement.
- Knowledge and familiarity with the methods, practices, crafts, tools, equipment, codes, documents, drawings, specifications, requirements, functions and control systems of the construction business. May supervise larger projects than lower level superintendents.
- While performing the duties of this position, the employee is frequently required to sit and stand and move about the work area. In addition, it may require close vision work and travel away from home, sometimes for extended periods.
- The position requires the ability to walk about a construction site or operating plant or power station and the ability to climb stairs or ladders and walk on elevated plant platforms.
- The position requires the ability to wear and use personal protective equipment while in the work area of the jobsite including helmet, fall protection harness, respirator, safety glasses/goggles, escape breathing device, noise protection, fire-retardant coveralls and protective work boots and gloves.
- Ability to read and interpret blueprints and specifications.
- Strong leadership and team building skills.
- Planning and organizational skills.
- Communication skills; listens and gets clarification.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Treats people with respect; works with integrity and ethics.
- Follows through on commitments; willing to do what it takes to meet company objectives.
- Writes progress reports to be submitted to the client and company management.
- Understands union jurisdiction issues and prevents grievances.
- Leads by example; takes responsibility for own actions; exhibits confidence in self and others.
- College course credit and workshop completion in engineering, construction or business topics are desirable.
- Field construction of supervisory experience within the crafts assigned responsibility is essential.
- Overall, 10+ year’s experience in the process and/or utility/power construction industry.